Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sweet Pickle pickling season!

AUGUST is pickling month!
Each August I take inventory of my "sweet pickle" stock in my basement and determine if I can survive through a winter without more jars on the shelf!  This year, after taking inventory the answer was NO- so it was time to watch for pickling sized cukes locally!  In Utah, the time to get little cukes is usually the end of August and they only run for a few weeks it seems.  I look for those that are about finger-long and nice and firm.  I generally get a box to do 2 gallons which equates to about a dozen jars and this lasts me a year.  If I want to give some away (they make great holiday neighbor gifts!), then I need to do double that amount!

Here is the finished product!  I have to leave them sit now till about Thanksgiving as they need time to finish taking in all those good flavors from the spices in the vinegar.  THIS is the hardest part -the waiting!!

Sweet Pickles are my favorite to make because I think I have the best recipe in the world, handed down to me from my sweet mother-in-law! She showed me how to make these about 10 years ago and I've been making them ever since.  Simple, perfect and I wouldn't change a thing about them!
NEVER ask how much sugar is in sweet pickles if you truly want to enjoy them!  Just have a few with a nice tuna sandwich now and then and you'll be fine on your sugar consumption!  (I chop them up and toss them into my tuna salad-they are so much better than store bought relish!)



No comments: