Monday, October 22, 2012

The grapes are almost ready!

My grapes are looking healthy and juicy this year!  I have one grapevine in the backyard that runs up the fence and has been going now for about 4 years (I purchased a concord plant in a 4 qt bucket at that time).  The first year was slim pickings but every since has been just going crazy and I really look forward to picking and juicing!
This is how they look around the beginning of September and we pick after the first freeze, generally here in Utah that means around the first of October.  You can see there are still a few green ones but for the most part they look good enough to eat right now, though they are somewhat tart still.  The last month or so they really plump up and get super sweet!  One vine can really produce plenty of juice for a small family like ours.
I've learned how to trim back the vine over the years and how to keep it healthy and growing strong without over or underwatering it.  This plant is actually pretty forgiving though- give one a try!  Juicing is so fun and easy and you'll just be amazed at how this juice tastes -so much better than the Welch's juice you can buy at the supermarket!!  And the antioxidant levels in grape juice are very high!

UPDATE:  I got so busy this year in October that when it was time to juice, I almost felt I wasn't going to be able to get the job done!  My sweet mother-in-law and father-in-law came to my rescue and helped me pick all the grapes one day and they took them home and juiced FOR ME!  Wow!  They got 31 quarts from this one vine!  I was so grateful for the help; my shelves are stocked and we're ready to enjoy the grape juice all winter long!  I do plan on making some jam in the next few weeks too!  This grape does not make the best freezer jelly (doesn't ever really set up -too runny), but makes a nice cooked jam!


No comments: